Studying after hours - your safety and security
There are important safety and security precautions if you study late on campus. You can call AUT Security on +64 9 921 9997 if you see any suspicious behaviour.
Tips for your safety when studying late
- Avoid walking alone at night. Travel with a friend or arrange a security escort
- Use well-illuminated routes and park in areas that will be well lit and populated when you return
- Be alert and walk purposefully. A person who is confident, walking upright and briskly is less likely to become a victim
- Carry your keys in your hand for quick access when approaching your building or vehicle
- If you think someone is following you, go to a place where you know there are other people and telephones
- Carrying a mobile phone may make you feel more secure
- Tell someone where you are and the time you expect to return
- Check doors are locked at night. Do not assume somebody else will do it.
If you’re concerned about walking between buildings and campus car parks, a security escort is available day and night. To arrange this service, call AUT Security in advance on +64 9 921 9997.
Call AUT Security
Phone AUT Security on +64 9 921 9997.