Arranging support if you have a disability

AUT students who have a disability or impairment can visit the AUT Student Hub for information and support to help them participate fully in learning.

When to contact us

We suggest you contact us as early as possible to discuss how we can help you. You can contact us:

  1. Before you start at AUT: contact us to make an appointment for a needs assessment interview.
  2. When you enrol: at this point, you’ll be asked if you have a disability and if it will affect your study. If you answer ‘yes’, we’ll contact you to discuss what kind of support you may need. 
  3. During Orientation: this is a good time to settle any enrolment issues, and to get important information about your course from the programme leaders. 

Your academic record or qualification will not display the support you receive. 

Contact us at the Student Hub for more information or to book an appointment. 

Identifying the support you need: needs assessment interviews

We’ll invite you to an individual assessment interview, where we’ll work with you to identify what support you need for your studies at AUT. The support we offer you is designed to maximise your independence in learning. 

Your cultural identity and needs are important. You can bring a support person to your interview if you wish, or we can arrange for one of our cultural advisors to be present.

Verifying your impairment or disability

Your individual assessment may identify your need for specialist equipment or software, or other types of specific or staff support.

To access the right resources, you need to give us documents verifying your impairment or disability.

Documentation types

You must provide one of the following:

  1. Medical evidence of your impairment or condition
  2. Valid supporting professional assessments of your educational needs.

Who can provide verification

You can get verification of your impairment or disability from:

  • An educational psychologist, or similar
  • A primary health care professional
  • A registered disability provider - eg The Foundation for the Blind, Deaf Aotearoa New Zealand
  • AUT's Student Advisor - Mental Health (not a diagnostic service, but will talk with you and your mental health practitioner to confirm diagnoses and needs)

If you're unsure about the documentation you need to provide, contact us at the Student Hub.

Sharing information with your lecturers

Student Hub Advisors will make sure your lecturers and departments know what support you need and who will provide it.

If there are changes to your programme that affect what you need, you must contact us so that we can review and adapt any arrangements.

The details of your impairment will stay private and we won’t share them with your lecturers unless you give us permission to. We suggest that you consider sharing some information with your lecturers about the help you need as they may have their own ideas about how best to support you in their classes. We can help you to talk to your lecturers.